Who makes a better platform for your store: Shopify or Woocommerce?
Posted on August 24, 2021
If you are planning to start an online store, you must be confused about whether to use WooCommerce or Shopify for your store. Do not overstress, every business owner has confusion, and you are not alone in the boat.
To help you decide, we will discuss both options, so you can decide which right eCommerce platform is for you.
WooCommerce – It is an open-source eCommerce plugin built for WordPress. Using it, you can leverage the most powerful Content Management System to run your online store. It helps you customize every aspect of your online store and build custom extensions.
Shopify – It is an all-in-one eCommerce solution that helps you create an online store, accept payments and manage your inventory all from a single platform. When you choose Shopify, you don’t have to worry about caching, security, web hosting, etc.
There are a few basic requirements every business owner has to keep in mind while starting an online store. The parameters you need to look at are cost, ease of use, payment methods, and scalability.
Let us evaluate both the options on the most important ones –
1. Cost – Starting any business is not easy, and an eCommerce business requires a high marketing budget. Hence you may not like to spend too much on the site. With Shopify, you get your online store with $25 to 35$ per month (basic version). The advanced version comes at between $80 and $100. Other than the package cost, you don’t have to spend on anything else – domain name, web hosting, and SSL certificate are all included.
WooCommerce is open-source and hence freely available as a WordPress plugin. However, you will need to buy a domain name ($10 to $15), SSL certificate ($60 to $70), and hosting ($10 per month).
2. Ease of use – Shopify is a fully hosted platform, which means you don’t have to install, update, manage any software. You neither have to worry about the security, backups, and performance issues. Signup, customize and add your products, it is very simple.
On the other hand, WooCommerce is not hosted, hence you will need to install WooCommerce, keep updates and ensure security. When it comes to customization, WooCommerce is super flexible. The platform is fully in your control, and you have 55000 plugins to get the website as per your liking.
3. Payment Methods – Your customers should have the best checkout experience or you may lose some of your customers. Shopify offers you plenty of payment options. They have their payment solution and also all popular third-party payment gateways. The only issue is that Shopify charges an additional 2% fee for each transaction made through third-party payment gateways (on top of other transaction charges).
The default payment methods in WooCommerce are Stripe payments and PayPal. You can also add other payment options for your customers. There are no additional charges than the regular ones.
There is no clear winner. It depends on how you want to take up the development. WooCommerce is far more technical, and hence you need a developer to work on it, while Shopify is for the everyday person. However, WooCommerce has other advantages, and hence, it is up to a business to make a final call.
Why Should You Build a Website For Your Business?
Posted on June 21, 2021
Having a website is one of the best ways to market your business, especially if you have an online presence. Your company may find a website to be the most effective marketing tool, and one that is also extremely cost-effective. Nowadays the process for developing an online store or business website is so easy; you don’t need any coding or design skills, you don’t have to store during business hours, and it’s one of the best ways to promote your business.
The perfect time to build a website is right now, and it’s one of the most profitable investments you can make for your business. A website is a great investment for small businesses, and the advantages grow exponentially over time, just as the Internet itself does.
Below are some reasons why you should have a website for your business:
- Helps You Look Professional – Stats say that 75% of consumers will judge your credibility on basis of your website design. It is important to have a modern, up-to-date website with a custom domain. A website also shows that you are open for business during a time when there is a lot of uncertainty such as the recent ongoing pandemic of Covid-19.
- Assurance to customers – Most of the customers nowadays are buying things without even visiting the store. This has been trending even in the pre-covid time. This has only increased post Covid. For that, you need a website and also a social presence. Social presence is not possible without the website. You can use your website to get in reviews from your existing customers or use third-party review apps where customers can review your business. Having this information on hand will give your potential customer assurance, and they will not have second thoughts before buying from you.
- You benefit from Google search engine – If you create a professional-looking website and do Search Engine Optimization (SEO) on your website, your website will come up on Google search results. For example, someone searches ‘Best companies offering product X’, and Google shows your website on the first page. How much will you benefit? Thousands of people must be searching for the product you are selling. If you have a website that is SEO optimized, you can expect growth in your business.
- Getting a website is not too expensive – You must be thinking getting the website is too costly, and the return on investment (ROI) may not be good. You can easily upgrade to a professional-looking website without spending a lot of money. You will get an excellent return on investment regardless of the business you run.
These are just some of the many reasons to get a website for your business, but these should be enough to get you started with website development activities. Choose a good domain name and a reliable web hosting service, and you will see your business growing once your website is live.
Octos Global is one of the reputed custom software development company in USA that makes use of innovative technologies to help the consumers to custom make their mobile apps, websites, and software. The company offers custom website design and development services, code review & website audit services and also prototype/MVP Development services which assist the clients in taking their business to a new level.
5 Reasons Why Web Development Companies Use WordPress
Posted on February 22, 2021
Many times you get a client that lets you decide the technology on which to create a website. If you have faced such scenarios before and choosing the technology is not easy for you, this article will ensure that you don’t have to overthink.
Of all the websites on the internet, approximately 38% are developed using WordPress, while 63.6% are on WordPress that has a Content Management System (CMS). You must have guessed it by now; we are going to talk about WordPress. Numbers don’t lie, but we will put in some facts to support the above numbers – Why WordPress is best to develop a website.
Here are a few reasons why most web development companies prefer WordPress:
1. Open Source – WordPress is an open-source software which means it is free. You can build a website for your client at a lower price since there is no need for any license. Hiring a WordPress developer is easy, and you can get one at a lesser salary than a PHP developer.
2. A plethora of Plugins – You will have plugins for pretty much any functionality. If your client comes with a new requirement, you don’t have to worry about additional efforts to develop the functionality. You can simply install plugins on the website and you are done. WordPress has both free and paid plugins, check the plugin database and find the right one as per your requirement.
3. A pool of Themes – One of the reasons why so many websites are on WordPress is the pre-designed theme that WordPress offers. If you need to build some generic websites like a real estate portal, you can easily find a pre-designed theme, and you can create a website using it. The themes are available for almost all business types. You will get static as well as responsive themes. Just like plugins, some themes are free while some are paid.
4. SEO Advantage – What is the point of having a website if no one is visiting it, right? WordPress as a software is SEO friendly, which means the website you will create will rank higher in Google research results and other search engines. If your client wants to make it more SEO friendly, all you need to do is install an SEO plugin that will give the website even more visibility. You don’t need an SEO expert for higher ranking, even your developer can take care of SEO.
5. Security – You are developing the website on WordPress and WordPress ensures all the websites on its platform are safe and secure. They have their team which monitors all websites and keeps them safe from different types of virus, hacking and malicious attacks. If you want to have added security for your website, you can buy paid security plans that ensure your website is monitored more frequently.
The question here arises that even with the many benefits it offers, is WordPress perfect for all types of requirements?
The answer is that it undoubtedly is the number one choice in most cases. That is because it is easy to use, and you don’t need SMEs and developers with years of experience to deal with any functionality. You save efforts and your client safe money which gives you more business.
UI/UX Design Trend That Will Rule In 2021
Posted on February 8, 2021
Like any other body of knowledge, UI/UX, i.e.,User Interface & User Experience, that a website provides, is regularly evolving. These terms are inter-related, and on any website, one is not possible without the other. With over 1.5 Billion websites out there on the internet, you will face a lot of competition. The primary factor that would help you stand out and draw the crowd towards your website is your website’s UI/UX.
In this article, we are going to talk about UI/UX design trends that are going to rule in 2021, which you as a UI/UX Designer can integrate in your website:
- Personalization – Here, you try and create different experiences for different users depending on the data they have shared with you, like their date of birth, order history, marital status, etc. When a user is on your website, personalization will ensure the user understands that content shown to him is created only for him, which in turn increases your conversion rate. An important thing to know is that it is an advanced technology, and if you don’t apply it properly, it can also mess up your sales.
- Motion Graphics – You will agree that visual information stays longer with you compared to written words. Most of the websites, at present, are not only about written content but also images for better communication of information. Motion Graphics makes it even easier for your users to comprehend and remember information on your website. Tools such as website builder and Adobe After effects let you create a website that draws users’ attention to action items and bring delight to their experience.
- Touchless Interactions – The current global Covid-19 Pandemic has changed many things for consumers and businesses. One trend that is going to pick up this year is interacting with devices without touching them. How is it possible? It is possible through Voice User Interfaces (VUI) and air gesture control. Adding VUI to your design will expand your reach. Air gesture control allows you to make things on your device with movement in the air.
- The Dark Mode – 2020 saw some of the platforms coming up with a dark mode option. The design is well received by the users and this year you can see more and more companies adopting the same. The dark mode stays optimally legible even in a dark environment and also reduces screen fatigue. It also saves users’ batteries and can also hide defective pixels of your application with ease. With benefits to both users and businesses, the dark mode will only grow like anything this year.
- Immersive experience – 2D images and boring text are things of the past. When we talk about UI/UX, we talk about giving something out of the box to users. Now it is possible to make the user experience more engaging using 3D effects and displace avatars. With the increase in AR and VR technology popularity, 3D will also gain popularity, and you will see platforms with more 3D content.
These are just some of the many UI/UX trends to look out for in 2021. You don’t have to incorporate all in your website – only pick the ones which meet your requirement and the taste of your audience.
How Are Companies Preparing for Work-From-Home in 2021
Posted on January 12, 2021
The Covid-19 vaccine is around the corner for common people but going back to the offices for work looks like a distant dream. Some employees are enjoying the work from home setup while some are eagerly waiting for offices to open. We have entered 2021, and we know the offices are not opening anytime soon, at least with full capacity. So how are companies preparing for work for home in 2021?
When companies allowed employees to start working from home in early 2020, it was not out of choice but a compulsion. Most companies were not even prepared for work from home setup, but there was no choice. Here are a few things we will see companies doing in 2021:
- Data Security – The biggest challenge for any company when employees start working from home is data security. The companies are working towards ensuring no data breach happens. In 2021, we will see a lot of companies increasing their endpoint security investments. Some of the employees are working from personal laptops, and everyone is on their home network, which is not secured compared to a corporate setup. This has made it mandatory for companies to get the best endpoint security for the organization.
- Work-Life Balance – Every company wants its employee to have a work-life balance. In the pre-Covid time, companies making efforts to educate their employees was a kind of engagement activity. The situation has changed now since people are working from home, maintaining a work-life balance is becoming difficult for most people. In the coming months, we will see many companies coming up with programs to help their employees create a balance between work and home life.
- The Office Environment- Employees might be missing the office environment, as we previously mentioned, they miss the comfortable chairs, nice coffee, and much more. Google announced last year that employees could purchase work-from-home gear worth $1000 to ensure that they are comfortable working from home. Following the footsteps, we will see a lot of companies doing the same this year. Many companies are coming up with a budget to give their employees a few extra dollars to set up their work environment at home.
- Child care policies – The parents are working from home, and their children are studying from home. Managing work and children sometimes become a tough job for employees/parents. Companies understand this pain point, and in 2021 we will see them revising their policies to give more paid caregiving leave policy to their employees. Some IT giants companies have already done it, and many others are in the process of doing it.
- Rise in Remote Work Apps – With most of the employees remote working, there is a considerable rise in apps and websites that help make remote work more manageable. IT companies prioritize App development and Website development that would aid remote working more straightforward and simpler for both employees and companies.
Applications and tools like Google Meet, Zoom, Float, Aircall, Slack are now widely used.
OctosGlobal is one such US-based IT Company that helps businesses fulfill their software & IT development goals by providing essential solutions. The company provides Custom Software Development, Digital Marketing, Mobile App Development services, and more.
Landing Page an Effective Marketing Strategy
Posted on November 15, 2019
Internet and technology have reached far and wide. Today we are connected across the world, businesses are no longer affected by geographical boundaries. There is no dearth of opportunities to be found. Internet has made it possible to evolve and create new business strategies be it in the product development segment or the marketing strategies or even being connected with the customers, businesses have transformed. Today every business big or small uses the internet effectively to reach out to their customers be it through their website or their landing page.
The internet has thrown up a new world of possibilities that are low on investment and high on benefits. Popularity of the internet has now companies investing in a good website. Websites creators and developers design the websites and landing pages keeping the applications and services as their reference points.
What is a landing page?
Landing pages are a form or page on your websites that help could be or would be potential customers or clients into actual customers and clients.
It’s an essential tool that helps companies collect a websitebasic need to know information about the visitor of the page and can help them convert them into customers.
Landing pages help the companies find out what the visitor is looking for and the potential of future transactions with the client. It also lets the visitor know the services offered by the company. A landing page is different from a website. Website designs are completely different from landing page designs.
The need for a landing page:
Companies take a lot of effort, time and investment in creating the products and services that they want to provide. In order to be able to reach the success and achieve the targets they set out for themselves, they need to optimally utilize the resources available to them.
One such effective and innovative yet cost effect tool is creating landing pages to help market and promote their products and services.
Today with internet opening doors and creating opportunities, and with people using the internet for most of their needs, it would make for an effective strategy to use landing pages.
As it is a link between creating potential visitors into actual customers landing pages have proven to highly impactful. They are easy to develop and maintain.
Features of a good landing page:
A good landing page will have a singular point of focus. A visitor has come to the landing page because they have something specific in mind. It could be an offer or a special discount or feature that is unique to the service provided by the company, that attracted the visitor. It is important to keep in mind that a landing page should not have multiple points of focus as it may distract the visitor from the original purpose of visit.
Simplistic and Uncomplicated:
the whole purpose or ideology behind a landing page is that the page is fuss free, simple and basic so that visitors do not find it a daunting task to navigate and fill in the required information. Landing pages need to make sure that it is a win all situation for both the company and potential customers, where the company gets the specific reason for visit and the form gets filled and the visitor gets all the information he was looking for. Once a landing page is designed, designing and developing the website becomes simpler and efficient.
Companies usually develop and create mobile applications that target a specific set of users. Once this target group is defined steps should be taken to build and revolve the landing page based on the specifications of the targeted audience.
Specific yet thorough information
A landing page can be effective only if the information collected can be used to help convert a potential visitor into an actual customer. Just taking the basic information is not enough it should have information specifically related to the application and the reason the user chooses this landing page. The form should be designed with a minimalistic, yet thorough framework.
What are you offering:
The landing page should be concise and precise when it comes to giving details about what the company is offering and how this will help the user or the visitor. A landing page should not have an overwhelming amount of information as this may confuse the visitor and not give the results the company is looking for.
Landing page a boon to companies:
Landing pages in the recent times have proven to be highly lucrative and beneficial to companies. They help create brand awareness and advertise the applications offered. Landing pages have become an essential part of marketing strategies as with minimal investment , the returns are high. With competition being high and applications being launched it becomes important to optimally utilize the resources available.
Transformation Through Motion Graphics
Posted on October 17, 2019
Today with transformation being the name of the game, and changes happening all around us, we are everyday waking up to new possibilities and innovations. With competition and aggressive marketing techniques and introduction of new mobile applications and devices every day, technology just seems to be expanding and broadening its horizons. Marketing and advertising along with branding have become crucial for the success of businesses. Each business use motion graphics to communicate and storytelling is immensely captivating medium.
Nowadays be it advertising or marketing, motion graphics has become an essential tool for all forms of marketing from launch, to changes to upgrades, to branding motion graphics can be used across platforms.
Public relations mangers to businesses to sending out teasers and videos of new launch or just to create a social awareness of important causes, motion graphics are being used to communicate.
Motion graphics animated story telling along with info graphics have changed and enhanced the story telling experience. Audiences attention needs to be captured and what better way to do it, then motion graphics. Motion graphics do not involve a high cost as they are easy to make and develop, also as they can be repurposed, motion graphics have become a popular choice.
All about Motion Graphics
With communication changing in a big way, there are new tools being developed for communication and one such tool is motion graphic software, and under motion graphics there are other forms of them such as animated story telling, infographic motion graphics and text motion graphics that can be used.
What are motion graphics:
These are animated pieces which are integrated together to form a video, with text and audio added in to make them more appealing and interactive. It creates an impactful video leaving a lasting impact. As it is a form of storytelling it leaves one with a lasting impression. Motion graphics use animated story telling or motion graphic infographics as mediums to reach audiences, as they are short effective, compelling and complex, yet meaningful and significant.
Why go for motion graphics:
Motion graphic videos are extremely adaptable in nature, they can be modified and reused in several different ways. Businesses are looking at them as a great way to reach out to their audience. They can be targeted at any and all age group, as they are not confined by any boundaries, they have a universal appeal and this making them a popular tool for communication. Any business irrespective of what segment they fall under they can use motion graphics to send out their message.
In the advertising and marketing world motion graphics, be it infographics or animated storytelling motion graphics have changed and overhauled all companies marketing strategies. As motion graphics are both emotionally and visually appealing, they can connect with the intended audiences better, communicate information in an effective manner, also the intended audiences are able to retain this information better. In the marketing world motion graphics is a well loved and optimally utilized tool.
Motion graphics, be it through infographics or animated story telling are great tools to raise awareness on socially important causes to the general public, here there is not intended audiences. it can be used as a powerful story telling tool to raise awareness about important causes crucial to the society. For example, motion graphics or animated story telling can be used to raise awareness about global warming etc.
Describing a phenomenon:
Motion graphics is a great way to explain certain phenomenon especially in concise yet meaningful manner, along with voiceovers and animation, the intricate and complex details can be broken down and explained in lay man’s terms. This helps people understand different concepts and phenomena and as they also have the added advantage of good visualization. For example, in the education system motion graphics and animated story telling are proving to be a great success to make students across platforms grasp and understand better.
Motion graphic, animated story telling, and info graphics have helped companies and brands alike to promote and create awareness of their products and services. They have had played a significant role in improving communication and been impactful in sending across strong yet emotionally charged messages. We at Octos Global believe that motion graphics can have a positive influence and we endeavor to give our clients the best motion graphics video or animated story telling video, tailor made to fit their needs.